A Few Thoughts on Life, Death and Elizabeth Edwards

I’m sure that politically speaking, Elizabeth Edwards was far from my ideals. Yet, that presidential campaign when John Kerry chose John Edwards as his running mate and how she was portrayed just sucked me in. I came to like the public persona of Elizabeth Edwards. When I heard about her cancer, I felt for her and prayed for her. Honestly, I didn’t think it was wise for John Edwards and for her to continue his presidential campaign when she announced the cancer returned and had gone so far. Even so, she soldiered on. Added to that was the awful revelation of her husband’s adultery and the child that was born of that illicit union. To me, you could not but feel for her.

Now she is gone and before she left this Earth, she authored a “dying letter” to her young children, ages 10 and 12 now. From what I recall, she began that “letter,” which sounds more like a book to me, in 2007. It advises her young children in how to cook certain things, pick a church and pick a mate among a ton of other advice she will now give them from the grave. This was another reason to admire Elizabeth Edwards. I always liked the idea of someone who knew they were going to die, and who had the time to do so, writing down such things. Although not near death myself, at least not to my knowledge anyway, I began such a thing for my wife and children years ago. Hearing about this makes me want to blow the dust off of it and continue, on a computer of course.

How about you? The Bible states that no one knows how much time he or she has left. “Life is like a vapor, it appears for a little time and then vanishes away (James 4:14, Beacon2Light version).” Have you thought about authoring your own “dying letter?” What do you think of the concept?

Even more importantly, are you ready to meet your Maker? We are all sinners, having done wrong, and will be held accountable for those wrongs. Yet, there is a substitute that has been offered who has already paid the price for those wrongs, so you and I don’t have to pay. The key is to believe and trust in Christ’s death on the cross and His resurrection as your only hope for heaven. Are you ready? If not, what’s holding you back? You may not have tomorrow. Today is the day of opportunity. Tomorrow may be too late.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Call to be a Ragamuffin: A Review of the Movie on Rich Mullins' Life

What's In a Name?

Learning How to Reconcile from Jacob (Genesis 32)