It is Time for Conservative Christians to Put Down Mean-Girl Barbie and Start Idolizing True Heroes Like Dr. Kent Brantly and Missionary Nancy Writebol


Update, Sept. 16, 2014, Dr. Brantly:
Fmr. Ebola patient delivers testimony before Senate committee

Franklin Graham's Facebook post (09/05/14)
Tuesday, a crew from NBC News came to interview me about Dr. Kent Brantly’s miraculous story of surviving Ebola. Matt Lauer interviewed Kent as well, and this will air in an hour-long special TONIGHT at 10:00 p.m. EDT. The world will be watching as he gives the glory to God for healing him!


Are you sitting down?  Because TIME magazine posted a story by Dr. Kent Brantly on his ordeal with Ebola. 

(Their first hug in a month.  Photo credit:  David Morrison -- Samaritan's Purse)


"I never shed a tear when I called my wife and said, “Amber, my test is positive. I have Ebola.” Though the rest of my family wept, I felt strangely at peace. God blessed me with that peace that surpasses understanding. Since we had started treating patients with Ebola in Monrovia, we had only had one survivor. I had watched too many people die from this disease. Amber and I were both at the disadvantage of knowing how this illness ends."

"Even when I was facing death, I remained full of faith. I did not want to be faithful to God all the way up to serving in Liberia for ten months, only to give up at the end because I was sick."



Update (to God be the glory indeed): 

By Josh Levs and Jacque Wilson, CNN
updated 1:48 PM EDT, Thu August 21, 2014

Dr. Brantly's Statement: 




As for nurse Nancy Writebol, CNN reports: "Nancy is free of the virus, but the lingering effects of the battle have left her in a significantly weakened condition," her husband, David Writebol, said in a statement. "Thus, we decided it would be best to leave the hospital privately to be able to give her the rest and recuperation she needs at this time."

But Brantly passed along gratitude from the woman with whom he has shared a harrowing journey.

As she walked out of her isolation room Tuesday, Brantly recalls Writebol saying, "To God be the glory."




Samaritan's Purse's coverage of this answer to prayer

Ann Coulter's unrepentant post attacking Christian leaders who publicly rebuked her

LET HE WHO IS WITHOUT EBOLA CAST THE FIRST STONE ...August 13, 2014


Time 100 Most Influential 2010

Years ago, I tired of Ann Coulter. Yes, she was fighting with all of the right people but her chosen weapons were cruel and counter-productive. Does one really think that a "culture war" can be won by calling those on the other side of the aisle every conceivable insult that you can muster with a gorgeous smile?

Ann Coulter was and is a bully. That is why I was only partially surprised by her latest insults directed at a missionary and a doctor who hazarded their own lives to treat people infected with the Ebola virus in the name of Christ. Thankfully, I think this is a wake-up call to all Christians who have been playing (cultural) house with Mean-Girl Barbie versus the personalities on the Left and enjoying every bit of her clever yet mean-spirited attacks.

For those catching up on this, here is what Ann Coulter said: 



Samaritan's Purse photo



Whatever good Dr. Kent Brantly did in Liberia has now been overwhelmed by the more than $2 million already paid by the Christian charities Samaritan's Purse and SIM USA just to fly him and his nurse home in separate Gulfstream jets, specially equipped with medical tents, and to care for them at one of America's premier hospitals. (This trip may be the first real-world demonstration of the economics of Obamacare.)

There's little danger of an Ebola plague breaking loose from the treatment of these two Americans at the Emory University Hospital. But why do we have to deal with this at all?


Why did Dr. Brantly have to go to Africa? The very first "risk factor" listed by the Mayo Clinic for Ebola -- an incurable disease with a 90 percent fatality rate -- is: "Travel to Africa."

Later she added:

Right there in Texas, near where Dr. Brantly left his wife and children to fly to Liberia and get Ebola, is one of the poorest counties in the nation, Zavala County -- where he wouldn't have risked making his wife a widow and his children fatherless.


But serving the needy in some deadbeat town in Texas wouldn't have been "heroic." We wouldn't hear all the superlatives about Dr. Brantly's "unusual drive to help the less fortunate" or his membership in the "Gold Humanism Honor Society." Leaving his family behind in Texas to help the poor 6,000 miles away -- that's the ticket.


Today's Christians are aces at sacrifice, amazing at serving others, but strangely timid for people who have been given eternal life. They need to buck up, serve their own country, and remind themselves every day of Christ's words: "If the world hates you, know that it has hated me before it hated you."


There may be no reason for panic about the Ebola doctor, but there is reason for annoyance at Christian narcissism.


Oh and did I mention the title of her piece? Check this out and tell me if it makes you ask God to keep your emotions in check:




So, were Dr. Brantly and Mrs. Writebol narcissistic idiots?

Check out what Dr. Brantly has written in response to contracting Ebola while serving in Africa: 

One thing I have learned is that following God often leads us to unexpected places. When Ebola spread into Liberia, my usual hospital work turned more and more toward treating the increasing number of Ebola patients. I held the hands of countless individuals as this terrible disease took their lives away from them. I witnessed the horror firsthand, and I can still remember every face and name.

When I started feeling ill on that Wednesday morning, I immediately isolated myself until the test confirmed my diagnosis three days later. When the result was positive, I remember a deep sense of peace that was beyond all understanding. God was reminding me of what He had taught me years ago, that He will give me everything I need to be faithful to Him.

Now it is two weeks later, and I am in a totally different setting. My focus, however, remains the same—to follow God. As you continue to pray for Nancy and me, yes, please pray for our recovery. More importantly, pray that we would be faithful to God’s call on our lives in these new circumstances.

Read the rest of Dr. Brantly's statement here:
Dr. Kent Brantly: I Thank God for His Mercy


After you read the entirety of both pieces, I want to ask you:

Who do you think is the narcissist? 

Who is playing the fool 
(or as Ann calls it, the idiot) 
and who is the wise? 

and after you answer those questions, I want to ask you one more thing.  

Are you willing to stop playing with Mean-girl Barbie?

And embrace true heroes of the Gospel?  

They are not acid-tongued but doers of good 
in the name of Jesus and unto His glory.

Let's praise God for

source
Dr. Kent Brantly


source
and SIM missionary Nancy Writebol

and pray that they will beat this Ebola virus, not only in Africa but in their own bodies



Here is a reaction piece from Dr. Albert Mohler I thought you would like:  
Are Christian Missionaries Narcissistic Idiots? — A Response to Ann Coulter


On Saturday (08/09), I came across Russell Moore's piece which is just amazingly insightful and puts the whole Ann Coulter cult of personality into perspective for Christians.  Take the time to read it. It is excellent! 

Dr. Russell Moore is the president of the Southern Baptist's Ethics and Religious Liberty Commission


As I find these, I can't help but share them.  Here is a history lesson on the Early Church and an epidemic that they ran toward rather than from as did their pagan counterparts.  Check out this quote which brings it all home:  

The truth is, Coulter and Trump and others are peddling an anti-Christ message that calls us to care for ourselves and ignore the pain around us. That is neither Christian nor Conservative and it is high time that Conservative Christians said “no” to this kind of rhetoric and join the ranks of followers of Jesus throughout the ages who would run into the disease-ravaged cities instead of running away to save themselves. After all, if one seeks to save his own life, he will lose it. Jesus said that too. Maybe THAT is the real sickness in America. Not Ebola or Christian doctors trying to help the least of these in Africa. -- Alan Cross

The full piece is here:
More on Ebola from Ann Coulter: The Bankruptcy of “Save Yourself” Christianity


Caleb Suko is a friend and missionary that I met through Google+. Who says nothing good comes from the internet! Anyway, he chose to address Ann Coulter from a missionary's perspective. Needless to say, I love it. Click on his name and find out about this missionary to Ukraine and his upcoming trip there.  

Ann Coulter You Owe An Apology! An Open Letter 
by Caleb Suko, missionary to Ukraine























Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Call to be a Ragamuffin: A Review of the Movie on Rich Mullins' Life

What's In a Name?

Reproducible Pastoral Training - A Book Review