No New Year Resolution -- Just a Continuation

For the new year there are no resolutions.  What I seek is a continuation.  Though it is a continuation, I desire for it to be a better one than the year before.  Call it a resolution if you must, but there are no hard numbers, no specific goals enumerated, no date at which I can or should call myself a failure for having not done what I sought to do.  

This continuation, I pray, is by the power of the Spirit (Zech. 4:6).  I cannot do this on my own.  It is too much for me but when I am weak then He is strong.  So the key is not to pursue the latest trends and fads at being the best me that I can be.  Oh, I'll read and learn but the key is admitting that I am weak and that when I am in that condition, God is most present and powerful to accomplish in me His purposes and plans (2 Cor. 12:6-10).

Our incredibly powerful God delights in using little people to do incredibly big things (Judges 6:15; 2 Samuel 7:8-9).*  Therefore, if I exalt myself to being big, I minimize His glory and make Him seem smaller.  The more I wonder at Him rather than at me or anything that I have supposedly created or built, the larger He seems.  And that is not because I have made Him to be something that He is not but I have stopped trying to make me something that I am not.  Instead, I have come closer to seeing the Lord in all of His awesomeness while understanding that I could never totally grasp His immensity.  

I see too much pride in Christians circles, like Nebuchadnezzar (Daniel 4:30), showing off the great things that they supposedly have done. Yet who has made man's mouth?  Who created the deaf, the blind (Exodus 4:10-12)? Look at the great and mighty things accomplished by the Lord through the quadriplegic Joni Eareckson and the blind hymn-writer Fanny Crosby.  So many will pray that God will make them healthy, wealthy and prosperous.  I pray that God will make me like His Son (Romans 8:28-30) and like Joni and Fanny and if it means the opposite of health and wealth, then so be it.  When I am weak, then He is strong.

It will also be, I pray, by my obedience to the Word of God.  Again, this takes the Spirit's empowerment and His wisdom and direction.  It is easy for us to get to a point where we feel as if we have attained some kind of higher knowledge than our peers.  One of the great things in being a small church pastor that God has led on this journey in the most interesting of ways is that I KNOW that there are legions smarter, wiser and more able with the Scriptures than I am.  I can't out-Greek or Hebrew them but I can seek to be a leader in obeying God's Word and not being a hearer (reader/student) only (James 1:22-25). 

Recently I began dwelling on one verse that I have sought to master.  I don't mean that I began memorizing it.  I did that years ago.  Regrettably, I thought that I have been obeying this verse yet in recent interactions I feel as if there is much improvement that is needed.  Therefore, I will be dwelling on it, rehashing it, reminding myself of it and its implications and applications for my life until I feel like I have largely accomplished what it commands me to do.  Once I feel reasonably satisfied with that, I will move on to another and repeat.  As the Scripture says, the purpose for "hiding" God's Word in our hearts, is so that we don't sin against Him (Psalm 119:11).  I don't want familiarity; I want to finish well (2 Timothy 4:6-8).  Perhaps that will happen one verse at a time.  

There you have it, my continuation for the new year.  Call it a resolution, if you must.  However, I like to think of it as trusting Him who began a good work in me to be faithful to complete it (Philippians 1:6).  

*note that the asterisk indicates whole passages have been included in the link in order to give the context of the verses



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Call to be a Ragamuffin: A Review of the Movie on Rich Mullins' Life

What's In a Name?

Reproducible Pastoral Training - A Book Review