I Give Up!



frazzled photo: frazzled fraz.jpg

How often have you either uttered those words out loud or under your breath?  You think, “Man, I really shouldn’t feel this way!”  Yet, perhaps you are actually on to something. 

No, we shouldn’t become apathetic.  Throwing up our hands, curling up into a ball and doing nothing is certainly no option to life’s struggles.  However, doesn’t Jesus want us to give up?   

Before you think I’ve gone mad consider these statements from the Lord:

Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.  Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.  For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.”  Matthew 11:28-30 (NKJV)

“Come aside by yourselves to a deserted place and rest a while.” Mark 6:31 (NKJV)

-          The context of Mark 6 was the disciples’ report of what they had done and taught since Jesus sent them out.  Mark recorded that there were many people coming and going to the point where they had no time to themselves, even to eat.  

There are times in our lives when the struggles we deal with are much greater than our ability to handle them.  Even ministry brings us to the point of exhaustion whether physical, emotional, spiritual or all the above. Give yourself the permission to give up, to come to Jesus and lay your burdens on Him, to trust Him to exchange that burden for something much more manageable.  Give yourself permission to leave the ministry cares behind you for a time in order to re-charge, refocus, re-energize and renew.  

That’s right, I’m giving you permission to give up.  Even better yet, Jesus gives you that permission. Do it, for yourself, for your family, for those who love you and for those to whom you minister.   

Say it with me, “I Give Up!”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Call to be a Ragamuffin: A Review of the Movie on Rich Mullins' Life

What's In a Name?

Reproducible Pastoral Training - A Book Review