The Power of a Grandmother

As I was surfing the net this morning I came across this lovely story:  Granny's $8 Gift To Cash-Strapped Granddaughter Goes Viral

It provoked in me the following:

I don't remember any of my grandparents but I had a spiritual grandmom, to be sure, in Anne Sayre.  She used to send my wife and me a nice note and $5 from time to time.  Mrs. Sayre was the first one to bring me to a knowledge of God when I was 5, prayed for my biological family and me for all of my years since then, was cheering me on and praying for me as I went to college, graduated, participated in the Persian Gulf War, as I married and began a family, when I was ordained, began ministry as a pastor and on and on.  She went home to be with the Lord but those notes and $5 bills will always be a treasured memory. 

How will you and I be remembered?  Let's not forget the power of small kindnesses and remembering those we love over the long haul.  I leave you with this verse:

Even when I am old and gray, do not forsake me, my God, till I declare your power to the next generation, your mighty acts to all who are to come. Psalm 71:18 (NIV)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Call to be a Ragamuffin: A Review of the Movie on Rich Mullins' Life

What's In a Name?

Reproducible Pastoral Training - A Book Review