The Power of a Grandmother

As I was surfing the net this morning I came across this lovely story:  Granny's $8 Gift To Cash-Strapped Granddaughter Goes Viral

It provoked in me the following:

I don't remember any of my grandparents but I had a spiritual grandmom, to be sure, in Anne Sayre.  She used to send my wife and me a nice note and $5 from time to time.  Mrs. Sayre was the first one to bring me to a knowledge of God when I was 5, prayed for my biological family and me for all of my years since then, was cheering me on and praying for me as I went to college, graduated, participated in the Persian Gulf War, as I married and began a family, when I was ordained, began ministry as a pastor and on and on.  She went home to be with the Lord but those notes and $5 bills will always be a treasured memory. 

How will you and I be remembered?  Let's not forget the power of small kindnesses and remembering those we love over the long haul.  I leave you with this verse:

Even when I am old and gray, do not forsake me, my God, till I declare your power to the next generation, your mighty acts to all who are to come. Psalm 71:18 (NIV)

Popular posts from this blog

Will Russia Invade Ukraine? Moldova? What Should We Believe When Actions and Words Conflict?

My Thoughts on Jesus, Friend of Sinners by Casting Crowns

Sodom and Gomorrah Location Found?